Visiting Ostia Antica is an authentic surprise and the best alternative to Pompei for a real Roman experience! Ostia was Rome’s principal port town that – having been covered in mud for centuries – remains beautifully preserved. Vast numbers of baths, houses, and remains of temples on display, with the buildings perfectly organized in a Roman town structure. Tickets to the Ancient Ostia Guided Tour are included.
Experience this ancient shopping center as barracks, warehouses, offices, and taverns sit side-by-side.
Ancient Ostia history
Founded in 335 B.C., Ostia was Rome’s major port until the route of Tiber changed, dramatically affecting the utility of the town. From the 4th century, the mud that came from the river slowly covered the city, perfectly preserving this ancient town.
The House of Diana & Neptune Baths
One gem to enjoy is the Neptune Baths – on the terrace, find magnificent mosaics. They are not just a Roman ruin but one of the countless other examples depicting ancient life. Your guide is sure to show you them all! You will see an example of a typically Roman apartment that showcases how Romans lived: two perfectly preserved floors of the House of Diana.
The Warehouses & Thermopolium
The final stop-off includes the shopping district of the town – an impressive array of 2nd-century edifices that could easily exist in the modern day. Both the Epagathiana Warehouses and the Thermopolium wouldn’t look out of place in any 21st-century Italian city! Seeing is believing!
Visiting Ostia Antica, you can experience what life was like over two millennia ago.
Meeting Point for Ostia Antica Tour
Meet your guide according to the time slot you booked ( 8:15 am or 2:15 pm ) at the exit of Piramide underground station at the street level. The guide will hold a sign with your name and will bring your tickets. The ride takes about 30 minutes.
– Oversized bags or backpacks and big umbrellas are not allowed inside the site; small backpacks and foldable umbrellas are permitted.
NOTE: From 20th October to 28th/29th September, the archaeological site closes at 4:30 pm, and the afternoon tour meeting point will be at 12:30 pm.
Included in the tour:
- Assistance to get the train at Piramide underground station.
- return train ticket from Rome to Ancient Ostia Station
- Certified Professional Guide in Ostia
- Entrance ticket to Ostia archaeological site
- COVID 19 safety measures: face mask and hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff (social distancing from other visitors enforced: temperature checks for everybody entering museums and archaeological sites).